The following information is very important. You should read this information if you are unclear at any time as to the purposes of this site and who is responsible for its maintenance.
The site contains information only relevant to UK investors and financial advisers. This is designed to inform and protect you. There are certain legal and regulatory limitations that apply to the information contained on this web site and by proceeding you are deemed to have read and understood this warning.
The information in this section is intended for persons who are United Kingdom residents for tax and investment purposes or those who advise such persons. In particular the information is not for distribution and under no circumstances is to be considered as an offer or solicitation to deal in investments in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or distribution would be unlawful, including, but not limited to, the United States of America.
Investment in any of the products described should only be made on the basis of the applicable offer document (eg Scheme Particulars, Prospectus, Key Information Document or other Terms and Conditions). Nothing in the Aberdeen web site constitutes investment legal tax or other advice nor is it to be relied upon in making an investment decision.
The information is not to be reproduced, copied or made available to others. Any research or analysis used in the preparation of this web site has been procured by Aberdeen Asset Management PLC and its subsidiary companies ('The Company') for its own use and it may have been acted on by the Company for its own purposes.
It is believed that the information is accurate at the date of publication and no warranty is given. It may be changed without prior notice.
Any tax reliefs mentioned are those currently available and are subject to change. Their value depends on the personal circumstances of the investor. Information relating to investment trust savings schemes, investment trust ISAs is approved by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom.
Special Investor Warning
- The U.S. Cuban embargo legislation presently in force prohibits U.S. Persons from investing in, owning or otherwise holding Ordinary Shares in CEIBA Investments Limited. U.S. banks, custodians, depositories and other intermediaries may reject or block payments, the transfer of securities, and the distribution of dividends. Shareholders should ensure that they do not directly or indirectly use U.S. banks, custodians, depositories or other intermediaries, in any capacity, to hold Ordinary Shares in the Company or to receive dividend distributions or other payments.
- General: The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may get back less than the amount invested. Past performance is not a guide to future results.
- Country: Cuba remains subject to a very high degree of control over economic matters by the Cuban government (extensive regulations that impact business and the ownership and operation of assets and properties, such as the hotel and office properties in which the Company is invested). Any changes in government policy may adversely affect the Company or its investments in Cuba.
- Joint Ventures: All of the Company's investments in Cuban real estate assets are made through Cuban joint venture companies in which Cuban government entities hold an equity interest. Due to present Cuban government policy, the Company is not able to obtain majority control over these Cuban joint venture companies and therefore does not exercise control over the joint ventures or the underlying assets.
- Currency: Currency exchange rate fluctuations may have a positive or negative impact on the value of your investment (the Company is exposed to risk associated with currency fluctuations, particularly between Pounds Sterling, Euros, the U.S. Dollar, and potentially the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) or the Cuban Peso (CUP)).
- Liquidity of investments: All direct investments in Cuban joint venture companies and other foreign investment vehicles are generally illiquid investments.
- Dependence on tourism: The Company holds significant interests in Cuban joint venture companies that own hotel properties, which are highly dependent on tourism in Cuba (operations and properties are subject to operating risks inherent to the tourism industry).
- U.S. Cuban Embargo: U.S. government restrictions relating to Cuba have a negative impact on the Cuban economy and, as a result, also have a negative impact on the business of the Company, as well as its access to capital and finance and limiting the extent to which third parties will deal or transact with the Company.
- Property investments in Cuba: U.S law penalises foreign persons allegedly "trafficking" in property formerly owned by U.S. citizens but confiscated by Cuba after the Cuban revolution. Although, due diligence has been carried out and no notice of alleged "trafficking" has been received by the Company, given the broad definitions and terms of the law, there is no way in which the Company can ascertain for certain whether any future litigation may arise in respect of a particular property.
- Projections & Estimations: All projections, estimations, target returns, indicative terms and the like in this document are illustrative and involve significant elements of judgement and analysis using certain assumptions described herein, which assumptions, judgements and analyses may or may not prove to be correct.
- Discount: Ordinary Shares of the Company may trade at a discount, the market price of the Ordinary Shares may rise or fall rapidly - general movement in local and international stock markets, prevailing and anticipated economic conditions and interest rates in, and investor sentiment towards, Cuba and general economic conditions may all affect the market price of the Shares. To optimise returns, holders of Ordinary Shares may need to hold the shares for the long term.
- Advice: Investors in the Company are expected to be institutional investors, professional investors, high net worth investors and professionally advised and knowledgeable investors who understand the risks involved in investing in the Company and/or who have received advice from their fund manager or broker regarding investment in the Company.
Other important information:
Issued by Aberdeen Asset Managers Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom.
Registered Office: 10 Queen’s Terrace, Aberdeen AB10 1XL. Registered in Scotland No. 108419. A member of the Aberdeen Asset Management group of companies. An investment trust should be considered only as part of a balanced portfolio. Under no circumstances should this information be considered as an offer or solicitation to deal in investments.
The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and you may get back less than the amount invested. The tax benefits relating to ISA investments may not be maintained. Investors should review the relevant Key Information Document (KID) brochure prior to making an investment decision. Read the detailed risk warning
Investor warning: Please be aware of scams that can affect investors. Read the full investor risk warning